Sunday, 22 May 2011

dusting the cobwebs away

Here is a bit of a practice update.

Kapotasana- last time I blogged about this, I was cutting out the additional prep that had snuck into home practice. I was doing 3 kapo hang backs, 3 kapo B's, then 3 kapo A and B standard.  Blimey!  That was mental and physical torture, it also disrupted the flow of my practice.  I gradually cut out the prep and had cut it out completely by March.  Woah, not much blogging going on from me, evidently.  What surprised me was that my body adapted. I was able to grab my heels without the prep and still do.  I guess it is similar to what happened when my practice was split, my body was used to primary as a warm up but with time it adapted.  Clever body.  I still repeat the pose if I don't get it first time, a maximum of 3 times.  Sometimes I get in on the first attempt, but this is mostly if I am in a Mysore class as it is warmer.  Kapotasana, remains a physically demanding pose for me, but there is definitely less drama about it.   Overall I guess I am becoming more flexible but it varies day to day, month to month and so I care less.  I just do it and move on.

My practice is getting longer, slowly.  I was given nakrasana a couple of weeks ago.  It is funny how much adding one pose can do.  Adding yet another strong asana to that section which requires physical and mental strength, has made me find more ease and less intensity.  Yes this is a strong practice but it's nice to find the softness and surrender to it's ebb and flow.  I am not talking about sloppyness here, the integrity has to be there and the strength but also some softness.  I hadn't explored this in intermediate before, it was something I felt in primary but intermediate requires so much of me, my practice was intense but now as it gets longer I am surrendering more, it's an interesting space.

20 comments:

  1. I also noticed that practice seemed to have gotten longer when my teacher gave me nakrasana a couple months ago...something about adding one more strength pose to that section. :)
    I've also noticed that I need to dial back the intensity a bit to maintain some ease through the whole practice now. I'm curious how that will evolve.
    Enjoy nakrasana!...I'm having fun with that one. It feels a bit clunky still, but there's something fun about hopping around on the mat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, I'm glad you understood, I reread my post and thought it sounded a bit vague. I like your comment though. That is what I meant :-) Interesting that you are going through a similar process.

    Re: nakrasana, at the moment it also involves a collapse, mid way for me. I'm trying to postpone the collapse. Don't have the stamina for it yet. Crazy pose, what were they thinking, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sivananda ashram Yoga retreat Bahamas offers yoga therapy certification course. In Yoga therapy they teach Thai Yoga Massage.
    Sivananda yoga therapy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sivananda ashram Yoga retreat Bahamas offers yoga teacher training course. Yoga teacher training is four-week course offers proficiency in how to teach yoga to others. yoga teacher training course

    ReplyDelete
  5. This course will be life transforming! Together with Anamaya's ultra healthy (and ultra tasty) organic diet, extensive yoga and medititation, you'll not only become a certified yoga teacher, but you'll be in the best mental and physical shape of your life. Plus you'll experience the most beautiful place on earth... breathtaking Costa Rica.

    Please feel free to compare our prices with others... you will find us to be very reasonable, especially considering that you'll be here at Anamaya, rated #1 on Trip Advisor for our area, and one of the most beautiful yoga resorts on earth. Why are so affordable because we've only been open just over a year and the word about us is only starting to get out there... so take advantage of your discovery of Anamaya and book now while our prices are still below average for a 200-hr yoga teacher training.
    ------------------------------
    yoga teacher training

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of a few years back when I was going through a really intense regime before having to cut it down and only go weekly. Thanks to you I really feel the urge to push myself and get back into the deep end again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was truly encouraged to discover this website. The explanation getting that it is this kind of an enlightening publish. physical therapy schools

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your experience in your practice. It's so nice to hear about others Ashtanga Yoga practices! I have been practicing for over a decade and second series postures are still eluding me, yet I continue to practice them for the benefits, challenges and joy each daily practice brings me.
    Namaste Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Encouraging story. I need to get back in touch with it all. I've been lost for a while whilst taking a half assed approach. I plan to add some weekly content to the simply sweat blog, please have a read once in a while, really looking to build a hub for an online yoga community.

    Yoga Clothing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting site I frequently User

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today many types of Yoga are in market. Yoga aspirants often get confused with so many different types of Yoga and there names. They don't know which form of Yoga is suitable for them as only introductory information is available online which doesn't give much details on a particular form of Yoga. Beginners should not get confused as these are just illusionary differences.

    Calm PRT Kaprex

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing about your practice. Yoga practice can bring challenges and joy. Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yoga is good. I love Yoga.
    I was sick with back problems and aching joints for 3 years, thanks God recently I have discovered a proven systematic set of techniques that will allow us to enjoy the richest whole body benefits of yoga... from the top of our head to the bottom of our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.yogawhy.org/home/hot-yoga-weight-loss/


    I really agree with you this really fantastic and beautiful ieads provides the yoga related > thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ashtanga yoga is a superb to attain optimum levels of stamina, strength, and adaptability. The practitioners of those yoga exercises still reap its consistent advantages as long as they continue practicing it but they should maintain regularity.

    Nayeema
    Anamaya Resort

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quite interesting and useful article. Thanks for sharing.
    http://www.aparyoga.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing your experience, it is great to hear about others Ashtanga Yoga practices. It is also encouraging to hear when people struggle, and especially when they overcome these challenges as you have - it gives hope to others !

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you want to learn yoga, so the one of the best Yoga Teacher Training Rishikeh is Ojashvi Yoga Shala , Here you will learn with a very basic and then goes to advance level. Here you will become perfect in yoga as well as fitness.

    ReplyDelete