Sunday, 30 January 2011

preparations

It's been a while.. hi!  This post is going to be a tad asana centric.  I've thought about posting it a few times and keep deciding it'd make a dull read but I obviously need to write it as I keep thinking about it.  I went to see my teacher a couple of weeks ago and had a great time, I learned lots which is still informing my at home practice.  I really wanted to go to kinos workshop in March as he is doing an extra mysore class and a workshop on adjusting primary on the Monday.  I felt that she may have some good input for me as I continue to work on karandavasana.  I really wanted to go but wasn't sure if I could afford it, so I decided not to go to London in February (I usually go at least every 4 weeks).  My teacher is in Mysore in February anyhow. I am also in a bit of a groove with my home practice right now, I have lots to work on and have some ideas about how to do it.  So I won't be in London until March, the week before the kino workshop.

The advantage of working at home on a pose is you can do some naughty prep work for a challenging pose if you like.  The disadvantage of working at home is that you can do some naughty prep work for a challenging pose if you like, it can get out of hand, lol!  When I got split (started practicing just second series),  the thing I found the hardest was kapotasana at home.  It would come so quick, I would barely be awake and I would be so cold, my feet like ice blocks.  I mean it is not an easy pose anyhow, but you need to be warmed up.  So I developed a prep routine, 3 kapo hang backs, then 3 kapo B's, then 3 normal kapotasanas.  That warmed me up!!!!

Working at kapotasana at home with a tight upper back is challenging and I am grateful for my kapotasana prep for allowing me to get to the point that I can grab my heels by myself.  I think it would have taken years without.  At the shala it is warm enough and I usually do 2 kapotasanas, one assisted and one solo.  Anyhow in January the procrastinations began...I take a break between each prep, I hold them for one minute and it is intense.  The procrastinations went something like this  "this is not astanga"  "this is taking too much time"  "this is way to much prep" blah, blah, blah went my mind.

My mind is usually fairly quiet during practice but during kapotasana prep I would let it go.  I've been meditating a lot recently and I soon realized I needed put this practice to use to reign in my wondering mind by focusing on my breath.  I also realized my mind had a point, it was too much, it was messing with the flow of my practice, and I now have other poses that need my energy.

So I am on Kapotasana prep cut back.  Each week I remove one prep pose from my routine.  I am now in week 3,  so today I did 2 hang backs and one kapo B before my 3 kapotasanas.  As a result I make more of an effort on each one, I am also very determined on my final kapo, and am still getting to my heels on the final one, every day bar one.  I have much more energy too, so it going well.  It is also giving me something to focus on while I am without a teacher for the next month. 

I am also working on the karandavasa landing, and it is getting better but is not there yet, I love it though....that's another post perhaps....

8 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,

    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the karandavasana landing! Hoping for a post! ...just when mine seems to be improving, it'll sort of disappear for awhile...this pose just puzzles me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Christine, I'd love to hear your comments on the post too. I will write it in the next week or so. I find it useful to write about something whilst I am in the process of learning it. How is mayurasana going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'll look forward to chatting about karandavasana.

    Thanks to some good suggestions from Susan (of Susananda blog)mayurasana is getting better. If I can manage to jab the elbows in just the right place, I can get both head and toes off the floor...granted they're only off the floor by about an inch, but I'll take it!

    I'm heading to see my teacher for 5 days of Mysore practice at the end of Feb. and am hoping to have at least one "good" mayurasana day so it looks like I really have been practicing during the 6 months since I saw him last and started the pose! :)

    How about you...any insights into this crazy pose? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kino will be great, I'm so looking forward to taht weekend.

    Know what you mean about naughty home prep work, my backbends take 30 minutes longer at home LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine, great looking forward to hearing about your time with David too. I saw the discussion about mayurasana and also benefited from Susan's great tips. I was also relieved to hear I wasn't the only one struggling with it. It is starting to work out for me too, there is just so much to to remember. For me the sequence goes, get the elbows as low as possible on bare belly (tip from V), lean forward and lift chest, then lift legs squeeze thighs and keep lifting chest. It's like learning to drive there is so much to do simultaneously!

    Hi Kevin, blimey your backbend routine sounds like my kapotasana one. Sometimes it is good to explore but it is certainly time for me to cut back on my kapo work so I can work on karandavasana. Yep you heard me write the faff has just moved, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi christen, thanks for sharing your suggestion with us i really like it..
    Yoga course

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite interesting and useful information, thanks for sharing!
    http://arpityoga.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for sharing your journey in such lovely words. you have been helpful with your knowledge y encouraging with your word y practices. it is good to read in the post above your are feeling at least somewhat better~bless.Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh

    ReplyDelete