Sunday, 9 January 2011

The power of now

Over Christmas I read The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckart Tolle.  I loved the book but I am not intending to review it here but to share what I have noticed in my own reflections.    I have wanted to read this book for a while and it did not disappoint.   Over the holidays was a good time for me to read it as I was away from my everyday busyness and able to put it all into practice and reflect on it.

I realised that it was time I brought my spiritual practice into my life more fully.  Time to be here and now as much as possible in life and to stop creating emotional attachments.  Afterall all we ever have is here an now, why live elsewhere! Meditation in life as opposed to meditation and life as two separate practices.  I realize this is all very obvious but I don't think I have actually practiced this fully before.  I have had moments of being completely present in my life which have been amazing glimpses.  I am definately more present as a result of both my asana and my meditation practice but I have until recently not noticed when I am not present outside of my practice.  I guess I have practiced and then let it spontaneously effect my life.

Christmas was a great time to practice this.  I noticed that the moments I avoided being in fully were not the amazing ones or the difficult ones but the mundane, day to day stuff.  I guess you could call it boredom, wanting to be elsewhere and literally being elsewhere in my mind.  Ugh!  I hate to admit this.  I have an aversion to saying I am ever bored as I have always felt that if I say I am bored it actually means I am boring. However as I have observed myself lately I have noticed that there are some moments, I don't want to be in.  Noticing this and  allowing myself to be there more fully, transform these seemingly mundane moments into the extraordinary wonder that they really are or sometimes I have just noticed my aversion to something instead of mentally avoiding it.  I guess this is why washing up is often given as a time to meditate and be fully present.

3 comments:

  1. I have heard great things about this book, must give it a read sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sivananda ashram Yoga retreat Bahamas offers complete Yoga beginner’s course by arayani staff member at the Ashram Yoga and a Hatha yoga instructor in yoga teacher trainings. yoga course

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great site, keep up the good work, also check out this site : ML.

    ReplyDelete