Thursday, 14 October 2010

London and pincha

Had a great weekend in London, catching up with friends, hanging out with my man and going to mysore classes, happy days :-)  Marc was going to come home this weekend but they wanted him to work on Sunday, so I'm going to go to go to London instead, which means I will be in London 3 weekends in a row, including last weekend.   When in London I go to a mysore class, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, to maximise my access to teachers.  So Thursday is now primary day and Friday is off.    This means I am getting 3 shala practices and 3 at home practices.  I like my at home practices as much as the shala ones a it gives me a chance to integrate what I've learnt.  My teacher only teaches weekdays, so I end up going to 3 different teachers.  I got lot of help with pincha which was challenging me at the weekend.  It was at home that it has started to come together though.  I realised that I was feeling under pressure to get up and not fall on anyone at the shala.   This pressure was entirely my own manifestation,  although I am sure the people near me were grateful I did not fall on them!!! :-)  So my mission for this weekend is not to do the perfect pincha mayurasana in the shala but just to chill and do whatever I can.

So  re pincha, what I learnt that has helped.  Keep head down while coming up (from my teacher) walk in as much as possible.  I am then doing some prep as outlined in kinos second series dvd, lifting one leg up at a time as far over as possible.  I realised I was telling people, I couldn't walk in far enough or lift the first leg up as far as much as I needed to in order to come up with control.  When I heard myself, I realised that this was pushing some kind of button in me and instead of saying I couldn't, it was time to find out how .  The best tip was from my ever supportive partner, who sat and watched some you tube videos with me.  Now my partner is not a yoga teacher or a yogi but he has a lot of martial arts experience and has an amazing understanding of body mechanics, he has taught me a lot.  He suggested I stopped trying to get up for a bit and break it down, lift the first leg up and then work on getting second leg off the ground.  Such a great idea, thanks Marc :)  Firstly it took the pressure off, and I stopped flailing and kicking like a donkey!! Secondly I stopped moving from my back foot and more from my centre.  Thirdly when I did this I started to get the pelvis over the central point and then I can balance and bring the leg fully up with control and balance.  So I still need practice and I've been getting lots, but I have a method and it's working which is great.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Helen! That's the method I used to learn pincha - one leg lifting straight UP as much as possible (point the toes) and hover the other foot just off the ground. Then the 2nd leg learns to come up with control, from the centre. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan! Thanks for commenting. This method was taught to me a few weeks back but is only just starting to happen. Lots more practice needed, oh and I think I have been forgetting to point toes, so thanks for reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi H,

    It was nice to meet Marc last weekend.

    Your'e small don't think you would hurt anyone if you landed on them.

    I am at AYL this Sunday due to the non running east London tube system. See you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might not feel that way if you end up next to me Sunday, lol! See you there or in pret after? H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think you would be in more danger from my dodgy dropback landing than I will be from your Pincha fall out :-)

    I emailed you about Pret :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well, let's not have a competition, I'd rather not fall at all, I have not received an email?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad we both landed safely :-) Funny how you got to Pincha and I got to dropbacks at the same time though!

    ReplyDelete