Sunday, 30 May 2010

Holiday preparations

Next week I will be spending just over a week practising at the shala with my teacher.  I live in a different city from my teacher so usually I visit once every 4 weeks.  My teacher is very experienced and very good at coping with me just popping up when I can.  Nevertheless I think it's important for me to spend some consistent time with my teacher.  This is the first time I will practice with my teacher for more  than two days in a row.  I'm very excited!!  You may have noticed I keep saying "my teacher", for some reason I want to maintain his anonymity, this is a blog about me and my journey and I really don't want the responsibility of explaining who he is or what he thinks.  I know some of you know who my teacher is and that's fine, it's not a secret, I just don't want to blog explicitly about him.

So this week some preparations, ordered some books to read so I can enjoy a relaxing week off work, all my yoga classes are being covered so that's a relief.  I've not had much time off since I've been a  yoga teacher and I think it's important no matter how much you love your job and life to step out of it once in a while.

Backbending has been very changeable over the last month, some times more flexible than I even imagined possible but other times back to where my backbends were about a year ago.  I know every day is different but I have never had such a huge variance in my flexibility.  I tried to resist the temptation to prepare my practice for next week, to have expectations about what I will achieve in one week.  Actually I say try but I don't really have any expectations, I expect I'll learn something and it will be nice to have assistance every day but who knows what will happen.

I did decide by the end of last week, when my back was just getting tighter and tighter that I should do my best to sort it out.  So I have decided to use my excitement about visiting my teacher, to encourage me to work on my backbends.  This is helped in part by working out how to open it out, which I did on Friday.  I think my back has opened up significantly recently but it seems to occasionally revert back and when it revert it really reverts. So on Friday when my drop backs were tight, I decided to some more.  Working on each one slowly and focusing on the breathe my back gradually uncurled.  I ended up doing nine drop backs, never done that before.  Did ten today, also today I did 3 kapo B's holding each one for a minute.  My Kapotasana A was back to it's usual state, which is actually much easier to do than the one I did last week with the tight back.  So this week I am going to uncurl my spine, then let go and see what happens next week.

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading about your week practising with your teacher!

    You were one of the people who inspired me to finally start going to a shala after a few years of practising on my own. Now I realise how lucky I am to live in a city with many authorised teachers, many options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kai, I really enjoy learning about your journey at the shala. I feel I can understand where your coming from. The only myore classes in my city are taught by me, although there was another teacher here a few year ago. She was fab. I have come to love my self practice but also love going to the shala, I feel very much at home there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your shala week, I'm sure getting help every day will be great and open your back up.Its weird how one day you can feel really open and flexible and the next day stiff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Kevin. Weird indeed but part of the practice to observe it as it is, I guess. Had quite an opening in my upper back which was taking a while to settle. Extra backbends I have been doing have opened it up again. I'm sure a week of adjustment will help but maintaining any opening will be down to what I do here at home. These extra backbends may have to stay a while.

    ReplyDelete