Thursday, 4 March 2010

Workshop preparations

Well getting Marc ready for a workshop in a week is quite some mission.  It doesn't matter how bendy he is.  He could have been practising for years and still be tight.  This is an inner practice, it doesn't matter what it looks like.  I just don't want him to be lost.  So I've taught him a few times but obviously we are both still working and busy busy so we just do what we can.  Yoga is good for helping me let go of any ideals, it just is what it is.

I just got a voice mail from him to say that he arrived early for a job and so has done his yoga practice.  He was busy earlier so couldn't do it.  So I'm chuffed for him that he has fit it in anywhere that he can, but I am also in a state of shock.    Loving it , wonderful to hear about his experiences, I am looking forward to hearing about his practice when he gets home. He told me the biggest change he feels is that he feels more aligned, cool not bad for a week.

In my own practice I have been exploring my backbends.  I do my usual ashtanga practice but then do some extra work at kapo and drop backs, largely hanging back for a minute with my hands in prayer at chest or on forehead.   Today I did Kapotasana B, 3 times, another idea from Venki and Boodiba's blog.  I held mine for 30 seconds but going to increase this next week to 40, Linda does it for 90 but then she has been at it for longer than me.  I have got to my toes and Kapotasana 3 times this week, out of the 5 days I tried.  Tuesday and Wednesday my body was really tight, I think I was a little unwell.  Having tomorrow off so I am well rested for the workshop on Saturday.  Not sure if this is an improvement or not but will start to keep note so I can see.

In other news I started a new yoga class this week, a Mysore style class.  Eleven people turned up.  A great start, I have such enthusiastic students, it is an honour to be part of their journey.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Helen, great to hear that Marc is enthusiastically preparing for the weekend. As you say, the outer form has nothing to do with the yoga but I'm sure as he practices martial arts and has you for a teacher (and partner!) this is probably quite familiar to him already.
    Also great news on your mysore class! Really wonderful that you are giving your students an opportunity to experience the traditional practice in Liverpool when nobody else is offering that - as far as we know ;)
    I'd better get to bed so I'm all set for my journey tomorrow, so see you there! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so great to read that Marc has the enthusiasm to practice when and where he can. I'm sure he wont feel lost, so long as he concentrates on his own practice and doesnt worry about what's going on around.

    11 at your first Mysore class, that is fantastic.

    Have a great weekend with Kino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, Marc has gone now. It was very exciting in our house and now it's quite and I need to get on with work. :( One more sleep! :)Kevin already have a Mysore class on Monday but this was the start of a new class. A great start though. Half the class were new to Mysore style classes so hope they liked it.

    ReplyDelete