Friday, 26 February 2010

Another ashtangi is born

My boyfriend and I have been together five years today.  Although I practice Ashtanga every day he has not practiced ashtanga, until recently.  I had a social gathering for my students and they kept asking him why he didn't do yoga and telling him that he should.  Marc is a martial artist, he has practiced martial art for 29 years and aikido for 13 years.  He always felt he didn't have time for yoga aswell and I feel the same about aikido.  We have always respected each others dedication.  But after my students bombarded him, he felt he should give it a go.  If any of my students are reading, thanks for your enthusiasm!


So the very next day, I taught him the surya namaskaras and the first two standing poses.  He has practiced a few times since then.  Then someone I know was unfortunately unable to make Kino's workshop next week and asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to go.  Well I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to find someone!  I told Marc about this and he said he wanted to go.

I suggested he checked with Kino if she thought it was okay and she said, it would challenge and inspire him, nice one Kino.  So basically we have one week to prepare him.  I am really excited to be sharing this part of my life with him.

10 comments:

  1. What is it about Akido and Ashtanga. I used to Aikido and keep coming across Ashtangi's with an Aikido background, some similarities with Kata perhaps. Hope the BF enjoys the workshop, he should be OK, he'll have good balance, maybe some Swenson variations to see him thorough the tricky ones. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great post. Marc couldn't have a better teacher to prepare him for next weekend, what I wouldn't give for an "in house" yoga teacher.

    Having done a Kino workshop I know he will get a lot from it, she is another teacher who has the gift of making practice accessible to students of any ability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Kino will totally inspire him!! Nice one, I look forward to the report. I bet he gets a lot of attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My exciteable comment from earlier seems to have disappeared...
    but great post Helen, and I look forward to meeting Marc in Edinburgh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's great! Can't wait to see how he does (I'm sure he'll be inspired and want to learn more!) My BF of about 5 years too isn't into yoga either. He's a gym bunny with a personal trainer (complete with those chemically-suspicious protein shakes)... After my teacher training, I did my first "practice class" with him as my guinea pig and he said "Yoga is hard". Maybe I ruined it for him coz I was still figuring out what I was doing. HAHA! But we also have a mutual respect for each others' "thing" in life that we're dedicated too, so it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen - that's so fun for you two to do the workshop together! I bet he comes away from Kino excited about ashtanga :-) and ditto Kevin, an in-house teacher would be quite a perk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah! missed all this as we went out for a meal for our anniversary. Thanks for sharing my excitement. Grimmly is right in that he has great balance, just lifted his leg up in uttita hasta and said, like this? He also knows a lot of yoga speak from me talking about it all the time. Just need to teach him some poses so he has something to do on Sundays self practice.

    Mel, yes it'll be great for you to meet him. He will be there on Friday without me, so perhaps you could keep an eye out for him? I'm sure he'll be fine though he's a big boy.

    Thanks Kevin, I wouldn't mind having a private lesson every day either. I imagine it's a double edged sword though, no skiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just imagining the next week of cramming in your house. Though having his martial arts background gives Marc a head start over complete newbies. So will he start coming down to do long weekends at AYL?

    Yes no skiving with an in house teacher, no dinner until Navasana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished teaching him. Just standing poses for now, so he can learn the sequence. Was hoping Marc would be able to come to London with me at some point soon. He's organizing a big aikido event at Easter so it will have to be after that. Perhaps now he will come to shala with me too, we will see how Kino goes.

    He is very quick at learning new moves and his hamstrings are very tight. Primary Series should be really good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully Kino will inspire him. All those forward bends should help his hamstrings.

    I hope the Shala is open at Easter,otherwise it will be 4 days of eating chocolate eggs.

    ReplyDelete