Saturday, 29 August 2009

Sharath workshop

I'm back from my week in London and have had a great time, was unable to blog due to busyness and also because the experience was so ongoing, it seemed more appropriate to go with it. It was lovely to see Sharath again and to practice with so many people. It reminded me of my time in Mysore and because of that it made me think about how my practice had changed since I was in Mysore.

There are many things I can do now, that I couldn't do then but the biggest thing that has changed is that I don't get so hung up on it. Here is a link to my mysore blog. I do not think that ambition to get a pose in Ashtanga is a bad thing, sometimes it is a great motivating factor. It isn't why we practice yoga but it helps us get on the mat everyday then that's useful. I guess years of practice has just made me realise that some days will be better than others and the things I now struggle with will next year be easier, all I have to do is get on my mat.

I prefer mysore style classes to led classes but I like led classes too. They help me remove the faff as I just have to go with the vinyasa. They teach the non-attachment to asana as I was talking about above because say you have difficulty with a pose, your not going to be there long, the practice is ever changing, so you let go of it and move on to the next pose. I also like practicing in time with lots of people, there is a special focus and energy to it.

Here are some reflections on my practice.................

Day one

My breath seemed a bit ragged at times, which made me wonder if I was becoming unwell. Sometimes I notice illness in my practice first. I ate well for the rest of the day and was fine after that. Knee was also a bit iffy as I had fallen on it, the week before, twice! I was able to do everything though, just had to be careful. Sharath adjusted me briefly in baddha konasana, which I did not expect, so a real bonus. When I was in mysore, I mostly had to come down in headstand and uth pluthi as Sharath's count is long and I get more tired in led than normal. Mangaged to keep to his count though and decided it would help my practice to try and do this for the whole week. All in all it wasn't a great practice on the mat but I felt good for it so decided that was what mattered. I went for breakfast with a yogi friend which was lovely.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen,

    So glad you had a good week, you are so right about how when we look back, our practice has changed.

    ReplyDelete