Wednesday, 29 July 2009

Reading

I have been reading a really good book recently, Teaching Meditation to Children by David Fontana and Ingrid Slack. Interestingly the introduction to the book which discusses the benefits of meditation really resonated with me, as the benefits of my yoga practice. Recently I was articulating some of this inner experience to someone else and found it difficult to describe. When I was reading the book, I found a description of the experience that I was explaining described from another persons perspective. This helped me to clarify my own experience to myself and others much like a conversation with a good friend who knows you well can do.

The experience that I was initially describing was about being in a difficult situation and yet being totally calm and able to respond from the calm space inside myself. Despite this sense of calm the situation itself still brought up some difficult emotions for me but because of this inner calm I was able to observe my reactions rather than reacting from them.

One thing I like about reading books about yoga or in this case meditation is that because I have a regular practice some things resonate with me. Each time I read the yoga sutras I get something else out of it. I think it is more about experiencing things directly than reading about or intellectualising the process. However, sometimes I find it interesting to verbally explain to someone else or myself what I am experiencing. Sometimes the words of another person through written word or conversation can be incredibly helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment